Thursday, May 18, 2006

My toughest one yet...

That's right folks...this is by far the toughest blog I've ever had to write. A lot of you know a lot about me. But some of you may not know a lot about my family.

For this blog. I want to talk about my Father. Why you ask? Well, because I was informed that my Father has less than two weeks to live. I came back from California on such a high...that it was only this news that has managed to sober me up since my return. I am leaving on Saturday to Las Vegas to say my final goodbye.

Before I go further with this blog though...there is someone that I have to thank. Her name is Laurel. Not only is she an amazing person but she has managed to help me so much in my time of need. Let's just say that she makes miracles happen. So Laurel, I want you to know that I appreciate all that you have done for me. You have managed to fly into my life like an angel and have truly blessed me with your kindness, compassion and goodwill. I am forever in your debt...

Let me tell you about my Dad, as he has lived such an incredible life. He started his life in Chicago, Illinois and graduated with a Business degree from DePaul University then on to get his Juris Doctorate in Law at Northwestern University. He enlisted into the army shortly afterwards where he worked as an Attorney for the Military Courts. After being honorably discharged, he started work on the little KeFauver Committee, investigating corrupt judges and politicians and their relations with the mafia. It was at this time that my Dad moved to Indiana where he founded the Indiana Bar Association and served as President for over four years.

He met and married my Mother then moved to Saulsalito, California where he began work for the Department of Agriculture and received his training for personal protection with the Secret Service. He was assigned to Earl Butz, Secretary of Agriculture as his personal Chief of Security and lead investigator of internal affairs. After serving for the Dept. of Agriculture, he was assigned the unique task of personal protection for President Nixon for the thirteen western regional states. Meaning, whenever President Nixon traveled to the thirteen western regional states it was my Father and his security team that provided the Secret Service protection for them. It was a position that truly defined his life.

My Dad's favorite piece of memorabilia? An autographed 8x10 framed picture from President Nixon saying "My sincerest thanks for your years of dedicated service and congratulations on the upcoming birth of your son Jake". Apparently, while sitting on Air Force One...my Dad told the President that he was taking time off to be at home for my birth and that he had already named me after his Father.

After his service for the Secret Service...my Dad took up a nice retirement job with the FBI's Gaming Control Board in Las Vegas. Being in charge of investigating and licensing major hotel/casinos. It was my Dad that gave a lot of people their start in the business. In fact there were two young guys that he was assigned to for licensing and ended up becoming good friends with them. Those two? Lorenzo and Frank Fertitas...the owners of numerous casinos in Las Vegas...not to mention the owners of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

My Dad of course couldn't hang em' up once retired. He took a job for the Security Team at the Monte Carlo Hotel and Casino where he worked for eight years. He also carried his trusty sidearm with him during his entire life...never once leaving home without it. (All retired FBI have the right to carry a concealed weapon even after retirement). It was this show of bravado that I always looked at my Dad as a "Man's man".

I am sad to see my hero go. I am sad that I always had to share him with his lifelong passion of Law Enforcement. I am sad that he wasn't able to get to know my daughter as much as he would of liked. I am sad that I have to see him and say goodbye...knowing that it's going to be the last time I'm ever going to see him again.

So that's it folks. If I haven't returned your e-mails or comments in the last couple of days...it's because of this. I hope you all understand. I'm off to spend some time with my hero. My Dad.

Much Love,

Jake

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats a really touching tribute man. I'm very sorry.

I can only imagine what you're going through.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your dad, Jake. You, Dad and your family will be in my prayers...

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey jake, i am so sorry to hear this news! your dad sounds like an incedible man! please know you and your family will be in my prayers.take care sweetie.

christine

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake I'm so so sorry to hear about your news...I'm glad you at least had a good relationship with your dad and had someone to look up to, and lastly as hard and as sad as it will be for you, you get to say goodbye. My father passed so suddenly I never got to tell him my last goodbye and I regret it everday...Bless you, your family and your father, my prayers are definitely with you...

autumn

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not much else to say except...I understand....I've been there and experienced it already in my life.... Hopefully U will b able to fulfill saying good bye as I missed that aspect...I was flying there when my Mom passed away***

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so true Jake,

Please allow me this one time over abundance of words. okay twice in one day. :)

You are being very brave and I know your Dad will be proud.

Be grateful for the days you've had with him,

Be grateful for the love your Dad has for you and the life he gave you,

Be grateful for the honor in which he lived his life.

Be grateful for just being related at all not even to mention his SON! It sounds like its quite an honor.

Be grateful for the things he gave you, taught you, said to you, made for you, bought you for Christmas, trips he took you on and I'm sure there so many more things.

When I lost my husband people would tell me that he's in a better place, I don't know about that, he wasen't with me anymore! lol

I got tired of people telling me, "I'm sorry" but never got tired of someone listening to me, on and on I'd go, and I had so many wonderful friends to help me through it. Then I couldn't be grateful but today I am soooo grateful he had so many people who cared about him, and for me what a legacy for a man. Here it looks like you do too..be grateful. I know we are grateful for you. It is our honor.

You have my phone number still don't you? I'll e-mail it again.

I'm grateful that I still have both of my parents and haven't yet experienced what you are going through. I dread the day.

My heart and prayers are with you and your family.

Love you

*Hugs* super long ones

Beverly

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're in my thoughts and prayers. much love always.

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear of this sad news, my prayers are with you and your family.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a wonderful life history! Your father seems like an awesome man and this world is a better place having had him.........My deepest condolences to you anre your daughter and your entire family. Blessed be his trip and yours.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear that Jake. I send my many sympathies your way. I can't imagine how you're feeling right now. I wish I were there to hug you right now. *hugs* This is the best I can do from here though. Let me know if there's anything you need Jake! I'm so sorry.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. He sounds like an amazing person. Thoughts and prayers are with you all.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake,

I'm so sorry to hear about your father. He sounds like such a wonderful person. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big J,

Stand tall and proud...your Daddy sounds like an awesome man, lots of accomplishments and admirable life story. Try and put your focus on that...easier said than done, I know. It may help. Tell him all the things you need him to hear and know that you and your family will be in my prayers.

Have a safe trip...

God Bless,

T

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Jake....your father is truly a *hero* may your last days be ones of peace, love, and forgiveness! Your daughter will know *grandpa* through you Jake...and he will *always* be in your hearts!

((((((((((HUGS)))))))))

Gwen

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake all of the brothers are here for each other, just know that you have all of us,

Chris

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake my man, im sorry about your dad. Atleast you know he lived a very filled life and im sure you are going to follow in his footsteps. He's sounds like an amazing guy and you are just like him. He is in our prayers.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Jakie, Your father sounds amazing. But I am not surprised, he raised one hell of a son. We are all thinking of you and your dad. Its always darkest before the dawn sweetie, were all behind you though, so dont worry if you fall cause we'll totally pick you right back up again. I hope your dad doesnt have any pain. Be well Jake.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am truly sorry for your loss. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

Zara

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone...this should serve as a reminder to tell everyone how much we love them. That is one regret I never want to have. Be blessed Jake...and to all 77,000,000 MySpacers....Timmer

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home