My surgery thus far...
I rarely give people props for doing shit...but hell...I'm hopped up on percocet's and feeling a bit saucy tonight. It's not very often that people come together in times of natural disaster....but every once in awhile...that little thing called "HUMANITY" shines through and shows all of us what it means to be human.
We've seen it during the World Trade Center disaster. The Hurricane Katrina devastation in Louisiana. The recent crash in the market south of the border. The massive earthquakes to hit 3rd world countries. Jake getting his tonsills out.
Now I know some of you are already planning on lodging complaints with the people in charge of Facebook Notes to have this bad boy removed...but please read on. The pain I'm in...is unreal you selfish bastards. Not to diminish the pain and suffering that others have endured during their times of tragedy...but damnit...this is about me. Big Jake.
Tuesday morning I was picked up by a good friend of mine, Jenna King (one helluva fighter who's fighting this Saturday night in Halifax) and she drove me to Peter Lougheed Hospital where I underwent a tonsillectomy. Now right when I was wheeled into the Operating Room..I was stripped naked and put into a very unstylish hospital gown. (Note to self: A great designer line of hospital gowns could sell huge in the store!). I was then placed on a large surgical table in the Jesus Christ position (arms out like I was on the cross) and a mask placed over my face. I could feel myself going out when I decided to say some final words in case I didn't make it out. I calmly looked around the room (at the rather unsavory looking staff) and said "This is soooo not like Grey's Anatomy" and was out like a light. I remember the staff all laughing as I said it...and moments later I woke up in the Recovery Room. The nurse there kept saying to me that I was telling her to go shop at the new store and that I kept mentioning the following: Jasmine's ears, Anderson choking me, Jenna winning her fight and Jay Whitford calling me a "shithead". All wonderful thoughts playing out in my subconscious mind.
Anyways...a few popsicles...ice chips and some might fine drips of morphine...I was back in Jenna's car and heading for a big chocolate milkshake. Approximately 30 minutes later...I was bent over my sink and puking out that very delicious milkshake and wobbling to bed. Needless to say...it's been a steady diet of popsicles, ice cream, soup broth and water for the last three days. I really recommend this diet to anyone looking to drop an instant 20 in time for bathing suit season.
So anyways...the purpose of this letter is to thank some very important people for taking good care of me and keeping me company during this tough time.
Firstly Jenna. Thanks for stepping up and getting your ass outta bed at 5:30 in the morning to drive me to and from the hospital. For being a great friend and taking me shopping afterward for my groceries for the week. I know you are training for a tough fight and you took time out to do this...thanks!
Jasmine and the girls. I cannot honestly say enough how grateful I am to you for what you've done. From preparing meals...keeping my place clean...filling prescriptions...and staying up all night with me when I had a fever and was seriously sick. For fielding phone calls and living off of 4 hours of sleep over the last three days. Thank you...I'm eternally grateful.
Jay and Asia. Thanks for being great friends...calling constantly and checking up on me and dropping by to provide great company. You have no idea what your friendship means to me.
Ryan and Sarah. I get nothing less than four to five check ins a day from you always asking if I need anything and keeping my spirits up. Keeping me company and being amazing friends...thanks for being there...
Anderson. For not only being a great coach...but always being a great friend. Calling me and stopping by to visit meant the world bro!
Jason "Dooms" Day. Thanks for stopping by to check up on me and hanging out. Nothing like a UFC superstar hanging out and shooting the shit with ya when you have nothing to do.
My brothers Jason, Chris and Zach. Always making sure I'm stocked up on groceries, checking in to see how I am and offering to watch over me...you have no idea what that means. Thanks for being great family.
My Mom and daughter Jasmine. Who are currently en route from Texas to get away from the aftermath of Hurricane Ike and to boost my spirits as having my Mom and baby girl around me is the world.
My bros, Geoff for stopping by and eating Arby's in front of me (joking buddy...great visit), Alain, Mikey, Tyne and Francois...thanks for all the well wishes and check ups.
And thanks to all of you (far too many to mention) for the facebook well wishes and notes keeping my spirits up and sanity intact.
Much love...
Jake
We've seen it during the World Trade Center disaster. The Hurricane Katrina devastation in Louisiana. The recent crash in the market south of the border. The massive earthquakes to hit 3rd world countries. Jake getting his tonsills out.
Now I know some of you are already planning on lodging complaints with the people in charge of Facebook Notes to have this bad boy removed...but please read on. The pain I'm in...is unreal you selfish bastards. Not to diminish the pain and suffering that others have endured during their times of tragedy...but damnit...this is about me. Big Jake.
Tuesday morning I was picked up by a good friend of mine, Jenna King (one helluva fighter who's fighting this Saturday night in Halifax) and she drove me to Peter Lougheed Hospital where I underwent a tonsillectomy. Now right when I was wheeled into the Operating Room..I was stripped naked and put into a very unstylish hospital gown. (Note to self: A great designer line of hospital gowns could sell huge in the store!). I was then placed on a large surgical table in the Jesus Christ position (arms out like I was on the cross) and a mask placed over my face. I could feel myself going out when I decided to say some final words in case I didn't make it out. I calmly looked around the room (at the rather unsavory looking staff) and said "This is soooo not like Grey's Anatomy" and was out like a light. I remember the staff all laughing as I said it...and moments later I woke up in the Recovery Room. The nurse there kept saying to me that I was telling her to go shop at the new store and that I kept mentioning the following: Jasmine's ears, Anderson choking me, Jenna winning her fight and Jay Whitford calling me a "shithead". All wonderful thoughts playing out in my subconscious mind.
Anyways...a few popsicles...ice chips and some might fine drips of morphine...I was back in Jenna's car and heading for a big chocolate milkshake. Approximately 30 minutes later...I was bent over my sink and puking out that very delicious milkshake and wobbling to bed. Needless to say...it's been a steady diet of popsicles, ice cream, soup broth and water for the last three days. I really recommend this diet to anyone looking to drop an instant 20 in time for bathing suit season.
So anyways...the purpose of this letter is to thank some very important people for taking good care of me and keeping me company during this tough time.
Firstly Jenna. Thanks for stepping up and getting your ass outta bed at 5:30 in the morning to drive me to and from the hospital. For being a great friend and taking me shopping afterward for my groceries for the week. I know you are training for a tough fight and you took time out to do this...thanks!
Jasmine and the girls. I cannot honestly say enough how grateful I am to you for what you've done. From preparing meals...keeping my place clean...filling prescriptions...and staying up all night with me when I had a fever and was seriously sick. For fielding phone calls and living off of 4 hours of sleep over the last three days. Thank you...I'm eternally grateful.
Jay and Asia. Thanks for being great friends...calling constantly and checking up on me and dropping by to provide great company. You have no idea what your friendship means to me.
Ryan and Sarah. I get nothing less than four to five check ins a day from you always asking if I need anything and keeping my spirits up. Keeping me company and being amazing friends...thanks for being there...
Anderson. For not only being a great coach...but always being a great friend. Calling me and stopping by to visit meant the world bro!
Jason "Dooms" Day. Thanks for stopping by to check up on me and hanging out. Nothing like a UFC superstar hanging out and shooting the shit with ya when you have nothing to do.
My brothers Jason, Chris and Zach. Always making sure I'm stocked up on groceries, checking in to see how I am and offering to watch over me...you have no idea what that means. Thanks for being great family.
My Mom and daughter Jasmine. Who are currently en route from Texas to get away from the aftermath of Hurricane Ike and to boost my spirits as having my Mom and baby girl around me is the world.
My bros, Geoff for stopping by and eating Arby's in front of me (joking buddy...great visit), Alain, Mikey, Tyne and Francois...thanks for all the well wishes and check ups.
And thanks to all of you (far too many to mention) for the facebook well wishes and notes keeping my spirits up and sanity intact.
Much love...
Jake
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home